Monday, April 05, 2010

Day one continued

So I accidentally hit send before I was done with the last post; it wasn't supposed to end so abruptly. Here is part two from day one in the markets.

After the mall, we then decided to go to another shopping district. We got back on the metro and went about 8 stops west to one popular shopping district there. This place was pure insanity. So many people. So many shops w/ ridiculously cheap shoes, clothes, or whatever else you'd want. There were also restaurants, food markets, thousands of people - and this went on for blocks and blocks, on multiple streets.

Through the entire day I must have seen hundreds of thousands of people, but I saw exactly one other caucasian westerner. It drove home the point that Guangzhou is not a tourist destination (it will be in several years I predict). Its not that it isn't safe or welcoming, because it is both.

The city just hasn't experienced a tourism boom yet. While many people speak some English, it seems like the less educated residents don't, which is fine. But they're the ones running the shops, restaurants, and transit. I've been travelling around thus far with three other fluent mandarin and english speakers but I feel like without them I'd be having an extremely tough time. This is all a good thing of course. I feel like I'm getting an incredibly unique experience here, really feeling how culturally powerful a huge city in China can be. But I know it is an authentic experience as well, since there aren't any watered down tourist havens that I've been in yet.

Anyway it is 7 am and my first day in the tumor hospital is today. The hospital is one of many and is absolutely gigantic. Will post pics soon hopefully :)

Nick
Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry

No comments: